Wednesday, June 07, 2006

The Morning After Dog Meat BBQ

(There is a little known law of nature that should a mother, who has to get up with her child, go out one night with her friends, say to see an "underground punk band" at a local bar, and should that mother not get to sleep until 2:00 in the morning, said child will wake unusually early later that morning. The child will not be placated with toys and will want to get out of bed NOW. Explanations like "Mommy needs her sleep" will not help.)

So, Dog Meat BBQ. I went to see them at Roxxy's. First of all, let me tell you that the name of the anti-christ was revealed and it is Bert Reynolds. I know, I know, you were thinking George Dubya. The method of revelation was a bit disappointing since it consisted of each of the audience members voting for who they thought was the anti-christ, placing our votes in a plastic Value Village shopping bag and awaiting as a random piece of paper was drawn from the bag and the announcement was made. Still, there was no one disagreeing with the possibility of Bert's anti-christ status.

Dog Meat BBQ were, themselves, fun. I don't know how else to describe them. They are very different, for sure. Lyrics full of humour, angst and satire; brilliant arrangements with a beat that made it impossible for me to sit still. The band has a bit of a cult following (my friends included) and these people know at the first notes or words of a song, what's coming and get very excited. Some songs, such as "Lunar Detox", "Swing Low, Big Paddy Wagon", and "I Hate My Job" ("I hate my job, I hate my job, I hate my fucking job" with an excellent beat-how can you not like that?) cause a frenzy when they begin. People love these guys. I'm not sure I would listen to a CD of them around my house (although there were some tunes that I could definitely hear over and over again), but these guys live are brilliant and are totally having a blast, bringing their audience along for the ride and sweeping them up in the pure enjoyment of it all. The band's enthusiasm for their music is what sucks you in. My friends told me that the arrangements differ a lot and that is genius too, taking songs and playing them several different ways so you never know what you're getting each time you go to hear them. One particularly enjoyable song, with much chatter ensuing after it ended, had my friend Ken lean over and tell me that it had been very different than the way they usually play it. I was like a visitor in a different land, having people who knew the culture explain these things to me.

So, I liked them and I will definitely go see them again. I'm joining the cult of Dog Meat BBQ.

6 Comments:

At 10:25 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Thanks for the review. I haven't done something like that in a long time. Hell,I haven't been for a night out downtown in years.

Sounds like a blast!

 
At 10:47 AM, Blogger Tina Chaulk said...

Yes, Debbie. I knew your family members much more than you since you are younger than me but I do remember you. It will be interesting to catch up.

 
At 11:44 AM, Blogger towniebastard said...

By the way, if you get the chance, catch the Groovy Shitheads. Basically two or three of the guys from BBQ do their songs, but accoustic.

Perhaps not as energetic, but still a lot of fun.

Oh, and congrats on the book. I shall have to order it during my next Chapters order.

 
At 12:05 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Congrats on the book! It is so cool to be able to say that I am friends with one of the 'literati' (or, is that 'illuminati'?). Either way, I'm going to get a copy of this book to take with me on a (hopefully) hot, sunny day at Lumsden beach.

 
At 1:12 PM, Blogger Tina Chaulk said...

Thanks, Denise. I might join you there, yet. I've been thinking I need a big helping of lying on Lumsden Beach. I think it is one of the best beaches around.

 
At 11:40 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hi Tina,

Love the book so far, although I only got through a couple of chapters. I just love the whole premise about it. I think you are going to have a hit on your hands.
I have been your unofficial promoter here at C&C @ MUN. Everyone loves the cover!
I see a big party coming up soon, can't wait.
Hugs, Maggie.....

 

Post a Comment

<< Home