Saturday, July 01, 2006

Beaumont Hamel

I know today is Canada Day to most, but in Newfoundland it is the anniversary of Beaumont Hamel, the horrible day in 1916 when 801 Newfoundlanders tried to take a German position in France’s Beaumont Hamel and only 68 answered roll call the next morning. This is the 90th Anniversary of that terrible day. I can't imagine how horrible it was for those men but on CBC Radio's Radio Noon yesterday, a teacher by the name of Ken Smith in Salisbury, England put his students through an exercise to help them try to understand. It is about 26 minutes in (you can fast forward it to that point). Listen and remember and be grateful.

2 Comments:

At 10:04 AM, Blogger TrudyJ said...

You did better than I did Tina ... I also posted about Beaumont Hamel on the 1st of July and accidentally said it was the 70th anniversary. Math, not my strong point. Thanks for posting on my blog which led me to your site ... looks great ... your book is definitely on my to-read list. Someone I know read it when it was still a MS and said how great it was, so I'm looking forward to it!

 
At 2:14 PM, Blogger Tina Chaulk said...

Wow, Trudy, on so many levels. That you would come by my little blog here and also that you know someone who read the MS and thought it was great. That is fantastic. Thanks so much for dropping by and your kind words. (We're in this shameless self-promotion thing together, it seems.)

 

Post a Comment

<< Home